- What is an ISO 14001 Environmental Management System?
- What are the benefits of Environmental / ISO 14001 certification?
What is an ISO 14001 Environmental Management System?
The International environmental standard ISO 14001 has the aim of guiding businesses who want to retain profitability while also reducing the impacts of their activities on the environment. It achieves these aims through setting out the necessary steps and elements to set up an ISO 14001 Environmental Management System (EMS).
It has been developed in response to much more stringent legislation and the increasing concern of governments and stakeholders internationally that businesses should control the impact of their activities on the environment.
Increasingly organisations may require certification to ISO 14001 as a condition of a contract with a customer. However organisations may seek certification to the Environmental standard ISO 14001 for many other reasons. Some of these include:
- Meet legal and regulatory requirements
- Gives customers confidence that your organisation is meeting its legal and regulatory compliance obligations.
- Attract investment
- ISO 14001 certification can also be used as a marketing tool and has the ability to attract more and different types of customers and contracts to the business.
- Manage and prevent risks
- Helps in managing and diminishing environmental risks now and in the future and therefore potentially delivering significant cost savings.
Community and Environmental reputation Indicates a desire to demonstrate environmental leadership and commitment to customers and stakeholders and can improve the standing and reputation of the organisation in the market place and in the community.
What if I just want my current environmental management system audited for compliance to ISO 14001?
ICS auditors can perform ISO 14001 audits to quickly and thoroughly assess your system’s level of compliance against the standard ISO 14001 and provide you with a step by step report detailing where your system meets and does not meet the requirements.
We can also fulfil the internal audit role for your company if you require it, in a fraction of the time it would take your staff to do it- thereby improving your productivity and leaving you free to run your business.