AS 4801 Health and Safety Consultants
Integrated Compliance Solutions has a team of expert Health and Safety Consultants who can help you implement the AS 4801 Health and Safety Management System in your Australian Business.
We help mature businesses develop effective compliance systems and solutions. When you work with us, our team of experts will assist improve your business and save you money, by:
- Integrating all your ISO standards (where possible) to create seamless systems for success;
- Minimising change by customising your business’ solution to your unique needs and culture;
- Creating user-friendly tools that are easy to maintain and change, as your needs do;
- Saving time and resources by limiting duplication of documentation.
Our AS 4801 OHS Consultant Services
Integrated Compliance Solutions specialises in developing and maintaining AS 4801 Health and Safety Consultant Services to established businesses throughout Australia. With the help of our health and safety consultants, your business can implement the AS 4801 Health and Safety Management System certification.
The following are important questions to consider when evaluating whether your business would benefit from the AS 4801 Management System.
What is an OHS Management System?
Having a Health and Safety Management System in place means planning and setting up processes to manage health and safety in your workplace.
When a Health and Safety Management System has been set up, you will be:
- regularly checking to identify hazards (aspects of the workplace with the potential to cause harm), e.g. manual handling, machinery, exposure to chemicals or noise.
- controlling the hazards by involving the employees who are at risk, changing the workplace layout or systems of work, and following WorkSafe guidelines.
- conducting risk assessments for changes or new systems of working.
- inducting new employees into their health and safety requirements.
- training and supervising employees performing potentially hazardous work.
- including health and safety issues as agenda items in regular meetings.
- considering health and safety requirements when purchasing machinery, equipment and tools.
You can get a current assessment score for your workplace by completing this Occupational Health and Safety Management System Quiz.
(Source: WorkSafe Victoria website.)
Also, here is a link is to a useful visual snapshot of how well you are doing. This is good for keeping on the wall in your place of business.
(Source: Department of Justice and Attorney-General website.)
What are the Benefits of an OHS Management System?
Having an Occupational Health and Safety Management System in place can benefit any organisation no matter how small or large by:
- helping organisations create safer work environments
- reducing injuries and injury-related costs – by pre-empting injuries, employers save money on medical expenses, the injured employee’s wages, insurance claim excesses, replacement labour and increased workers’ compensation insurance premiums
- improving business opportunities as many companies have preferential purchasing policies that favour purchasing products or services from companies with an OHS Management System.
- providing measurable systems that can verify OHS performance
- demonstrating that the organisation is meeting legal requirements
- enhancing the organisation’s reputation
Research shows that there are clear links between good Occupational Health and Safety Management System and long-term business efficiency.(Source: Worksafe Victoria)
What are the Features of an Effective OHS Management System?
Whether your organisation is large or small, complex or basic, your Occupational Health and Safety Management System should:
- have top management commitment to managing OHS risk. Top management must demonstrate OHS leadership and promote the involvement of staff in the development and implementation of the Occupational Health and Safety Management System;
- be supported by the organisation’s overall management system. The organisation must provide corporate commitment and sufficient resources;
- make the OHSMS’s structures and processes visible to employees and relevant to all business activities all the time; and
- ensure that Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems are regularly updated because OHS risks can increase at busy times, or when changes are occurring, eg: during restructures, changes of products and services, changes of suppliers.
The Occupational Health and Safety Management System used in your business needs to adjust to and be appropriate for all circumstances (Source: Worksafe Victoria)
What do I do if I Need a Certified OHS Management System for a Customer?
If your tender or customer is asking for a certified Occupational Health and Safety Management System, you are required to have it externally audited against a particular standard, for example AS 4801 by a certification body. With this certification, you will be able to promote your system’s credentials to any tenders or customer contracts you encounter.
In order to obtain this certification, you will need to create the safety management system in accordance with the requirements of the AS 4801 standard. You can do this yourself, or you can get assistance from a health and safety consultant at ICS.
After you have implemented your Health and Safety Management System, you need to get the system audited. There are over 35 certification bodies in Australia, which all have different areas of specialisation. Our Health and Safety Consultants can assist you in deciding which is most appropriate for you.
Should Your Business Consider Using OHS Consultants?
It is entirely possible to create your own Health and Safety Management System, however we recommend that you analyse the costs and time effectiveness of creating this system as it is a big task. If you decided don’t have the time or resources, a Health and Safety consultant can set up a Health and Safety Management System suitable for compliance to AS 4801 in the space of 3-4 months.
We have OHS consultants in every state who can help your business develop an appropriate Health and Safety Management System. Our Health and Safety consultants can get started on your project within 1-2 weeks. If you need help or just some free advice, give us a call on 1300 132 745.