What is ISO TS 16949?
- ISO TS16949 is an internationally recognized standard applicable to organisations involved in the manufacture of cars, trucks, (light, medium or heavy), buses and motorcycles as well as the relevant Service and Parts Organisations.
- The standard includes the process of making or fabricating:
- Production materials,
- Production or service parts,
- Heat treating, welding, painting, plating or other finishing services.
How does it work?
- A TS auditor/ consultant will use the implementation and internal TS audit to measure the success of the company’s management system in terms of the following objectives:
- continual improvement
- defect prevention
- reduction of variation and waste in the supply chain.
- customer-specific requirements
The Process Approach
- The ISO/ TS 16949 standard promotes adoption of what is termed the ‘process approach’ when developing, implementing and improving the effectiveness of a quality management system to enhance customer satisfaction by meeting customer requirements.
- For applicable organisations to function effectively (i.e. the process approach,) they have to identify and manage numerous linked activities.
- This requires activities to specifically manage resources to enable the transformation of inputs into outputs in order to be considered a process. Often the output from one process directly forms the input to the next.